Pages

Sunday, March 1, 2015

DIY Dip Dye Candles

Post image for DIY Dip Dye Candles 
I have too many candles.
Really, they are all over my house. Each one is scented, and makes my home smell like the sea, a barn, a forest. Candles burning beautifully and setting an ambiance in the room is so important for my mood; when I’m entertaining, reading, or taking a bubble bath. But sometimes, I don’t want the fragrance, I just want the flame. I decided to take some basic white, unscented candles, and make them more me by dip dying them. Check out the how-to below:




Dip Dye Candles

Materials:

Unscented pillar candles

Crayons

Peeler or knife

Double boiler or nested heat-proof vessels


dipdye5


First things first, crayons. Dig through your old 5th grade pencil boxes and find as many crayons as you can. The options here are endless — look at all of that color! Pick what feels right to you. These colors are going to end up dyed onto the blank canvas of the candles, turning them into something creative and fresh.

dipdye1


Lately, I’ve been extremely inspired by The Wash Shop. The way each piece has a soft faded, dyed out look with a sharp color still holding its own is just my cup of tea. Indigo blues, lighter hues, and warm tonal colors mixed with metallic were the crayons I pulled after looking at the wash shop for inspiration.

Once you pick out your colors, peel the paper off of the crayons. Carefully take the knife or peeler and shave off pieces, you can also break them up with your hands as tiny as you can get them for easier melting.


dipdye3

dipdye8

Once the crayons are in pieces, start boiling water on the stove. Grab your materials, along with a tin bucket, coffee tin, or double boiler.

dipdye7

Put whatever shaved colors you want into your pot of choice, and carefully double boil them over the stove by setting the pot on top of the boiling water and letting it melt the inner materials. If you’re using a tin, wear a heat-safe glove to protect your hands, as it will be hot. This double boiling technique allows the crayons to melt quickly and evenly, and avoids burning. The mixture will come to liquid within seconds. Quickly remove, and begin dipping. I lightly rolled my candle around the bottom half of the edges, and let any access wax drip off. The liquid dries quickly in the tin, so dip fast!

dipdye9

Allow the color to set on the bottom half of the candles. A few pieces of dry crayon my gather on the candle, but it can easily be wiped off. I dipped one in a cloudy blue, and the other one in a jewel tone indigo and silver. Next, all you have to do is relax!

dipdye2

dipdye10

+ Give it a try, and let me know how it goes in the comments!



No comments:

Post a Comment