Pages

Sunday, March 1, 2015

DIY Pressed Flower Prints

Post image for DIY Pressed Flower Prints

It started with the flowers.
I unexpectedly found myself turning back to look at them again on a recent trip to the store. The colors, the scent, and the symbolic promise that spring is not too far away drew me in and I was overwhelmed with the need to take some home with me. I decided to press some of the flowers to make wall art. All you need is some paper of your choice and glue.




flowers 1


First I picked up some beautiful tiny purple flowers called waxflower, or chamelacium. Waxflower has pine-like needles and when you cut the stems it releases the most amazing citrus-y aroma. I also got some white daisies, carnations, pale pink roses, and larkspur. It’s amazing how having flowers in your home can instantly make it feel so cheerful and spring like.


roses 3


roses 4


I used brown craft paper, some natural paper, and canvas fabric as backing. After pressing the flowers in a large book for a couple of days, I played around with different combinations of paper and flowers. I also dyed some of the paper with coffee for a more rustic look. I loved how they turned out so much that I decided to frame some to hang as wall art! To secure the flowers to the paper I used Tacky Glue, but keep in mind these are very delicate and meant to be handled with care.


pressed flower prints 6


I would definitely recommend giving the roses a few extra days to press, due to their thickness they don’t press quite as easily as the others did.

flowers 5


Pressed flower prints


pressed flower wall

No comments:

Post a Comment